Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Census Bureau Jobs for 2010

The U.S. Census is coming up, and the U.S. Census Bureau is looking for workers who can work for a few weeks, collecting data for the U.S. Census. I took the test in order to be a worker for the Census, and I did pretty well on it. How did I hear about it? My sister told me, "Why don't you work for the U.S. Census Bureau? I'm applying". I said to myself, "Why not? I'm a Notary, things are kind of slow, I need the money, so go for it!" Well, after I took the test, I didn't hear from them for a few weeks. Believe it or not, I started to worry. I wondered if I had enough class. Finally I decided to call them up to see what my status was with them- was I being considered, or did I get disqualified? What they told me was this- I passed the background check, and they just had me on their list as a possible future candidate. "Cool", I told myself. I tell myself "cool" when I feel good about something.

One thing that had me worried when I went in was this: they said that anyone under the age of 50 needed to be registered with the U.S. Selective Service in order to be considered for a U.S. Census job. The lady who worked for the Census told all of us applicants: "If you are not registered with the Selective Service and you are between the age of 18 and 50, you need to do it today". What I found out was this: you can only register for the Selective Service if you are a man between the ages of 18 and 25 (it's the law). If you don't do it within these ages, you can NEVER register with them, and thus, you can NEVER be employed in a U.S. Government job. Wow. I do remember this: I registered when I turned 18- I was concerned that I never gave them my forwarding address when I moved. That didn't matter, I found out today- they can find you if you move, as long as you're alive, so you don't need to worry about that.

Do you know if you are registered with Selective Service? Anybody can find this out- just go to www.sss.gov to see if you are registered.

No comments: