Tuesday, May 05, 2009

Discover Card Has Pissed Me Off

I have had a Discover Card as a credit card longer than any other credit card that I have. I have their Platinum card. I have always been a loyal customer. I wonder, then, why they recently sent me a notice that said that they are going to increase my (already high) interest rate from 15.99% to 19.99%. I was so upset that I called them on the telephone, and a nice customer service person told me that all Discover account holders are having their interest rates raised. She sounded like she didn't want to do it, that it wasn't her fault, and that she was just doing her job by answering the phone. She said that it was a bad economy and that they needed to raise the rates. I told her: "The economy is bad when people get their work hours cut. When people lose their jobs. Discover Card wants to raise peoples' interest rates on them when they are earning less money?" It seems that President Obama's recent meeting with the credit card companies might have only made some of them decide to stick it to the customers even deeper while they still can. They told me that I do have the option of canceling my card, and I am seriously considering this. It's ironic, though, that they run a commercial that says that they have online tools to help you with your finances, and that they suggest that you could cut back on your Starbucks coffee purchases. How dare they! They are suggesting that people cut back on their Starbucks or Peet's Coffee, just so that you can afford it when they raise their interest rates! I mean, they are charging pawn shop rates, right? Discover Card has pissed me off, and I'm looking for an exit strategy.

No comments: