Friday, January 04, 2008

Congratulations to Barack Obama!

I went to Gold's Gym in Hollywood this evening, and as I walked quickly on the treadmill, I was watching the results of the Iowa caucus. I was not surprised that Barack Obama or Mike Huckabee came in first place for their respective parties. I also was not surprised that the Democrats had a huge turnout, since the country really needs a good Democratic president to try to get us out of the muck and the mire that we are currently in.

I'm reading Barack Obama's book, "The Audacity of Hope". It's a good book, so far (I'm on page 28). I have been for Hillary Clinton up to now, and I think that she would make a great president. I read Hillary's book, "Living History", years ago, and I already know where she's coming from. She and Bill Clinton went through a lot of needless shit while they were in the White House, and they still got a whole lot of good things accomplished, despite it all. Clinton worked well with members of both parties. It was only toward the end that he got clobbered with "Monicagate"...

I personally theorize that the Republicans did that to him as revenge for the Clarence Thomas trial, where Anita Hill brought up true (although vulgar) allegations about Judge Thomas' sexual harrassment. (There was a lot of sexual harrassment all the time when I worked at Fed Ex amongst all my coworkers at Fed Ex, but most of the time we didn't mind that much. If we could take it, we got to dish it out, too, once in a while).

Anita Hill probably should have simply quit her job and (and maybe filed sexual harrassment charges) if all that she said really transpired. I guess if she didn't and someone just dragged her out of nowhere to derail Mr. Thomas' appointment as Supreme Court Judge, that's kind of unfair. I guess that's why the Republicans felt that it was fair to pull a groupie like Monica out of the hat, force Bill Clinton into denying having anything sexual to do with her (under oath), and then taking Monica's unsensored, practically forced-at-gunpoint, explicit and vivid account of her sexual adventures with Mr. Clinton and printing them on the front page of "The Washington Post".

Yes, somehow Hillary stayed with Bill Clinton. I'm glad that she did. Their enemies tried to tear them apart, and it might have almost worked, but it ultimately didn't.

Barack Obama seems to be the kind of guy who says that the kinds of things that were done to the Clintons are things that would not likely happen to him, not because he's perfect and doesn't have any skeletons in his closet, but because he would appeal to his peers in Congress to be above all the bullshit. From what I've read in his book so far, I think that he would say, "Let's solve the problems of the people and the nation. Let's not sit here and sink in the mud". It would be interesting to see what his Republican rivals and opponents would try to do to him down the line should he be elected.

Oh, well, fasten your seatbelts.....

No comments: