Sunday, November 18, 2007

Friday Was Fun- The Fairest Day Of Them All

Wow, what an busy and exciting 2 days I've had! On Friday, Nov. 16th, I went to an event at Disneyland that I'd paid for about 3 weeks ago. It was a little celebration of the movie "Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs", put on by the Disneyland Resort to celebrate the movie's 70th anniversary. The fun started as I got close to the entrance of Disney's California Adventure. There was a registration table, and I showed my ID and I was given an apple-shaped lanyard to wear to identify me as a guest of the event. Once inside, I went to Stage 12 to see the special items that they were selling at the event. I wound up buying only an event mug, and an event pin (the mug was not in stock- it is being shipped to me in about a month). There was also an Artist Signing, but I didn't make it over to that, but that was OK, because I really didn't buy anything large enough to sign. Next, at 5PM, I went to "Snow White's Soiree", a little party at Stage 17, where there were lots of hors d'ouvres and apple snacks. The hors d'ourves included shrimp, coconut-crusted chicken strips, and some potato-things. They also made a kind of "potion", consting of vodka, sprite, ice cubes and one of those colored fake light-up ice cubes.

I saw a lot of people that I knew at the event. Robert Tieman from the Disney Archives. Benji Breitbart, an old acquaintence who now works at Walt Disney World's Magic Kingdom. Felicia Roe , my friend from a Disney club that I'm in, the NFFC. Another guy who I'd seen before at an NFFC meeting in L.A., and who was visiting from New York and whose birthday it was. Robert Olszewski, whom I met years ago and whom I've seen and spoken with a few times since then. I said 'hi' and enjoyed meeting with all these people. I also met a few people that I'd never met before.

At 6:30PM, a panel discussion began. The panel included Roy Disney, Leonard Maltin, and John Lasseter. Also included were a curator of Snow White archives and the lady who was the model for the artists who drew Snow White. They also had old footage of the artists at work making the film. It was an interesting panel discussion. Roy talked about how his uncle Walt Disney used to tell him stories, and how Walt told the stories even better than the films did.

After the panel discussion came the movie, "Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs" at the Hyperion Theater. The movie was introduced by John Lasseter, along with the Seven Dwarfs, Snow White and the Prince. Everyone enjoyed the movie.

After the movie, as everyone filed out of the theater, everyone exchanged a voucher and received an exact replica of the movie program that was handed out at the Carthay Circle Theater in Los Angeles at the movie's premier on December 21, 1937. It is a pretty cool program, and I'm going to keep it. I will, however, post pictures of it on another blog that I do.

After I left the theater, California Adventure was closed, so I went out of the gate, and walked to Downtown Disney to Napolini, a walk-up pizza place, and got a pepperoni pizza slice and a Coke for 8 bucks. Then I caught the tram back to the Mickey and Friends parking lot (there was a singing tram host- very entertaining).

When I got home, I unwrapped the special gift that they'd given to me upon my entrance to California Adventure. It was an Arribas Brothers glass apple, commemorating the event. I'll put that up on mymagicalcolletion.blogspot.com sometime.

No comments: