Monday, October 15, 2007

Christmas Time is Here (well, almost).

I went to OSH today (Orchard Supply Hardware, a division of Sears). I went to have a copy of a key made for my Mom. As I walked in I felt a rush of glee- I saw Christmas decorations and Chrsitmas accessories- near the checkout lines. It was cool- Christmas lites- indoor and outdoor, Christmas animals, Mickey Mouse Snowglobes, fake Christmas trees, and more. It was almost enough to make me forget what I came for, but it put me in a better mood. I do like Christmas time. I'm sentimental. Christmas is for kids, and I think that sometimes, I become a kid again. I remember the great food and great times of holidays past, when my family was much larger. When my Grandmother would cook the best Thanksgiving turkies, with gravy and cranberry sauce! I remember the turkey dressing. The good o'l cauliflower (with cheese, mmmm). How about candied yams, with marshmallows? And, of course, the desserts? In my family, kids even got a drink of wine (Manishevitz) around the holidays to go with the meal. Don't forget the oven-baked dinner rolls, with butter. And maybe some green beans or turnip greens with turnips for vegetables. How about egg nogg?

For dessert: pumpkin pie, sweet potato pie, apple pie, tea cakes, rum balls, sock-it-to-me cake, pound cake, coconut cake, german chocolate cake.

I guess that Christmas for me brings back lots of memories of family and food. I don't really remember the toys so much, or the other gifts. The fun of the season was cool for me. After I got a little older, I just liked to watch the college and pro football games on TV (while school was out).

Funny how just walking into OSH can set off all those memories!

No comments: