Tuesday, October 16, 2007

Why Do People Drive So Damn Fast On The Freeway?

In Los Angeles County in California recently, there have been some really bad traffic accidents. The first one, which was major, was a few days ago on the 5 freeway in the Newhall Pass, inside a tunnel that is a through-way for trucks. Picture this: you're driving a truck, say, and something happens- you have to stop, a tire blows, SOMETHING. Maybe another vehicle collides with you accidentally. Let's say this happens inside the tunnel. You are slowing down, drastically, for whatever reason, and somebody is behind you, like maybe only 20 feet, going 65 miles an hour. The person behind you hits you. Then a chain reaction of people hitting each other, because they're all going TOO FAST!!!! They surmise that 3 people died in that tunnel, and that perhaps 31 vehicles (30 trucks and one car) were involved (all vehicles burned).

Today in Lancaster, California, along highway 14, a sandstorm blew some sand on the highway, suddenly, and people couldn't see. What's the logical thing to do when you can't see where you're going? Slow down!!!! Slow and try to stop. What did some people do? Stop immediately. What did people behind them do? Keep going fast! And guess what? Another pileup, and 2 people dead, lots of people in the hospital.

Last weekend (October 7th) I drove back home to Los Angeles from Northern California. I can honestly say that all kinds of people were behind me, tailgating, because I wouldn't speed because I had my family in the car. Along Interstate 5, people drive really crazy, and they go way faster than the speed limit. Even with the speed limit, which at times is 70 miles per hour, the people seem to like to ride only 10 or 15 feet behind the car in front of them. This is very dangerous.

About 15 years ago, I was on vacation with a friend in Nashville. We had just turned onto the highway, to head 4 hours to Pigeon Forge, Tennessee to go to Dollywood. We were riding about a mile on the highway when I noticed about a mile and a half up there seemed to be cars slowing or stopped. When I got closer, it appeared to me that the cars in front of me were crashing into each other! Cars behind me were coming up, speeding up to pass me! When we were almost up to the cars in front of me, I could see that there were definitely crashes. As people passed me, they began to crash into the cars in front. When I was almost up to the crashing cars, which were in the 3 left lanes, I had to act quickly. I turned sharply to the far right lane and floored it. The car beside us crashed into all the cars on my left. "Did you see that?", I asked Kelli. "Yes. Good driving, David". Well, I don't know about that, but I do know that not enough people scan the road ahead, and they go quickly into a disaster. People who speed and tailgate definitely are heading for destruction, either their own or leading to that of others. Everybody, take my advice and SLOW THE FUCK DOWN!!!

No comments: